Things they never tell a freshman entering college…
As a freshman in her second semester of college, I can honestly say I’ve learned some things they don’t mention in the brochures. You know, the things that all college kids go through yet they don’t mention it so as to not scare freshman. So I’ve decided to share some of this knowledge. Take heed!
1. Like high school, the upperclassmen enjoy the terror and stress freshman experience. They will tell you things that aren’t true (i.e, “You’ll have to move everything out when you go home for Christmas) just to watch you stress and run around like a chicken with it’s head cut off.
2. There are parties at every college. Every weekend. Most of the time, they won’t flaunt it like at big universities.
3. No one really cares who is on student council.
4. You will be made fun of for sporting your university/college pride sweater in the beginning weeks. Wait till mid-terms when people understand you simply don’t care what you wear, you’re too stressed to care.
5. You’ll forget what fruits and vegetables will taste like due to the fact that you are poor, and microwaveable food is quicker and cheaper.
6. Sparingly go out on the weekend. You’ll run out of money real fast if you go out every weekend.
7. Dr. Who, Sherlock, Supernatural, and Breaking Bad are must TV shows. Otherwise you appear to have been living under a rock.
8. There are still cliques. So grab friends, as many as you can, real fast.
9. If you live in a small dorm, everyone will know everyone in the building. Causing them all to go out together, come back wasted together, loudness, never ending drama, etc.
10. If you’re brilliant, you’ll realize that high school should really offer a class as to how to act when you enter college.
11. You are at the bottom of the food chain.
12. You will be spoken to at times patronizingly from upperclassmen in your major.
13. Hide your medication. And don’t tell ANYONE that you have them.
14. Sleep? HA! Forget that. However Zquil and melatonin are great for getting sleep when you’re granted that luxury.
15. Teachers can and will give you surprise assignments not mentioned in class. So check your blackboard (or whatever online source you have to keep up with assignments) often.
There are many more twists and turns you’ll have to overcome. But worry not, not all upperclassmen are assholes, teachers are willing to work with you, and coffee is always readily available at the cafeteria. You’ll survive! Every person you’ve met that has graduated from college has been where you are at now. Survival and a good life are possible. Time management and a positive attitude (along with tearful phone calls to mom) will go far!